Kansas City Southern Delivers Joyous Spirit of Charity and Light
Kansas City Southern Holiday Express Trains delivers Christmas Cheer and joy throughout its service area with a decorated train, entertainment, and spirit of giving.
KCS Holiday Express Train
KCS Holiday Express is led by the Southern Belle Business Train. The Holiday Express consists of six cars, including a brightly decorated smiling tank car called Rudy, a flat car that carries Santa’s sleigh; reindeer, and a miniature village; a gingerbread boxcar; the workshop for elves, the reindeer’s stable, and a little red caboose.
The Holiday Express was created in 2001 after volunteers dedicated over 8,000 hours to the rigorous transformation of the retired freight train. Holiday Express is brightly decorated with lights and brings good Christmas cheer and music to communities along the route.
The Holiday Express train follows the tradition of the former Gateway Western (GWWR) Santa Train. GWWR made stops in small towns from East St. Louis, Illinois to Blue Springs, Missouri. Kansas City purchased Gateway Western in 1997. In 2000 the KCS employees noticed that the Santa Train was the only Christmas that some kids had. There were children in the stops along the route that were missing essential clothing items like coats, hats and gloves. Employees of KCS were touched by the kids in need and committed to elevating the Santa Train to the experience that the communities enjoy today.
The Holiday Express allows people to tour the train for free, but does not offer rides to passengers. Unfortunately, the train is not handicapped accessible.
KCS Benefits Charities
At each stop, the KCS Railway makes a contribution of Walmart gift cards to the local Salvation Army to make provision of warm clothing for children in need. Contributions are raised from KCS employees, vendors and friends. For 2008, KCS raised $126,200 to purchase gift cards, a nearly three percent increase over their 2007 campaign. The KCS project hopes to make a difference to the lives of children in need, according to KCS CEO Michael R. Haverty, in a statement on the KCS website.
KCS makes donations of Walmart gift cards to the local Salvation Army to distribute the gift cards as needed.
The KCS website offers thanks to major sponsors including Michael and Marlys Haverty; ALSTOM; DST Systems Inc.; Greenberg Traurig, LLP; Gulf Coast Rail Group Inc.; Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences; Mid America Car, Inc; Partners N Promotion; TransSystems Corporation; Walmart and Watco Companies.
Kansas City Southern Information
KCS is headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, with railroad investments in the United States, Mexico, and Panama. The primary U.S. holding is KCSR, which serves the central and south-central United States.
Schedule for the KCS Holiday Express
Daily stops are at 4:00 pm in the stations along the route. The railway does not publish an end time on their schedule because the length of stops is variable, depending upon the size of the crowd and weather. They make an effort to keep the train open as long as there are people in line.
- November 28 – KCS Family Only – Shreveport, Louisiana at KCS Yard Tower
- November 29 – Shreveport, Louisiana at Festival Plaza
- November 30 – Leesville, Louisiana at KCS Yard
- December 1 – Jefferson, Texas Downtown between East Austin Street and Lafayette
- December 2 – Wylie, Texas at Marble Street
- December 3 – Sulphur Springs, Texas in front of Pacific Park
- December 4 – Vicksburg, Mississippi at Levee Street Station
- December 5 – Mena, Arkansas
- December 6 – Heavener, Oklahoma at KCS Yard
- December 7 – Noel, Missouri at Old KCS Depot
- December 8 – Pittsburgh, Kansas at Monroe & Elm Street
- December 10 – Blue Springs, Missouri at Main Street
- December 11 – Odessa, Missouri at Mason Street.
- December 12 – Marshall, Missouri at Lyon Street
- December 13 – Mexico, MO at 326 South Jefferson St.
- December 14 – Pearl, Illinois at Main Street
- December 15 – Godfrey, Illinois at Pearl Street
- December 16 – Roodhouse, Illinois at Old Depot
- December 17 – Slater, MO at Depot
- December 18 – Higginsville, MO at Depot
- December 19 – Grain Valley, MO east of Main Street
KCS at Union Station in Kansas City
Holiday Express will be at Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri on December 20 from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm and on December 21 from noon to 5:30 pm
The KCS Holiday Express transports fun, Christmas cheer, the spirit of giving and festive entertainment to stops along its route.
Information is subject to change. See the KCS website for additional information.
The Canadian Pacific Holiday Train transport holiday cheer to the northern states and Canadian provinces. Canadian Pacific Holiday Train US Midwest States
Read more at Suite101: KCS Railway Holiday Express Train for Xmas Cheer: Kansas City Southern Delivers Joyous Spirit of Charity and Light http://www.suite101.com/content/kcs-railway-holiday-express-train-for-xmas-cheer-a79978#ixzz1AZyjcZvz